rest your head

Thursday, May 11, 2006

call me Mr. Blue...

Beth is out this week, so I had to help Fr. Cletus arrange the funeral of a parishioner's mother. I could barely contain myself when she started talking about how selfless and generous the woman was. It brought to mind my own mother and how even though she had NOTHING, when any of her children or grandchildren were coming to visit she would go to the vending machines in the nursing home and have a whole "spread" as she would call it, of stuff for the kids to munch on and drink... Sometimes I can think of her and feel so good and other times I feel so lost.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Those were the times when she was really in her element...treating company as though they were visitors in her house, not just her room. I can picture her sitting there, surrounded by the Oreos and sodas and, of course, hard candies. And she would always pretend she was holding your hand but really she was checking your pulse.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kath-o-lil said...

She did take good care of all of us...

12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Andy, take some peppermints for the road."

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kath-o-lil said...

"Glenn do you have gum?, here take some gum and saltines, just keep them in the car in case you get stuck in a traffic jam on your way home from work."

3:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did I ever tell you about the little penlight keychain she gave me? the kind that you squeeze and they light up? She said it was for the times that I came home drunk and couldn't find my key.

Of course the battery died long ago, but how I wish I had kept that keychain.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Kath-o-lil said...

I think I do remember that! or maybe it was a penlight keychain she gave me, to find my way home in a drunken stupor :[! You have a lot of happy memories of Grandma, and that's what's important, not having the keychain... I enjoy listening to you tell your stories about her, they bring her back to me in a good way, and help replace my most recent unhappy memories.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home